Thursday, June 11, 2009

Quick Kettlebell & Band Session




Combining kettlebells and bands is a great way to get the best of both worlds while saving some cashola at the same time (kettlebells can get expensive1). By adding extra resistence via jumpstretch bands, you can get in a powerfull full body workout using just a 24kg kettlebell - which is exactly what I did yesterday.

The guys at the Diesel Crew came up with some pretty cool variations HERE, and I added a few different twists of my own to get in a quick 15 minute session that hit my entire body.

While I usually advocate doing a thourough warm up, I just didn't have the time yesterday and I wanted to get right into it. I began by alternating a single arm push with a single arm pull for 3 sets and then a squat variation alternated with a hip extension. The added tension of the bands literally forced the kettlebells back down, making the eccentric very difficult (and me very sore today haha!).

Here's how it went down:

a1) single arm kb floor press w/mini band 3x12 each arm

a2) single arm kb rows w/light band 3x12 each arm

b1) kb squats (holding w/both hands @ chest level) w/light band 3x15

b2) kb swings w/light band (set up as if I was doing a band goodmorning) 3x20

I did each superset with no or very little rest between exercises for all 3 sets and was done in less than 15 minutes. Not something I would do all the time, but definately great for a change of pace!

No comments: