Sunday, June 28, 2009

Sandbag and Kettlebell Mania!




Check out this training session I did over the weekend...

All you'll need for this killer workout is a heavy sandbag, a kettlebell and some jumpstretch bands. I kept my rest periods super short and was able to finish in about30 minutes.

Warm Up x 3 sets
1. kb squats x 10
2. kb swings x 15
3. push ups x 10
4. band rows x 15

a) sandbag clean and press 3x5
b1) kb one arm floor press w/light band 4x8-12
b2) kb one arm rows w/light band 4x8-12
c) sandbag shoulder + squat 3x6
d) timed snatches (15:15 protocol) x 5 minutes

The 15:15 protocol snatches were something I tried after reading about guys like Kenneth Jay and Jon Hinds using similar programs to get their VO2 Maxes through the roof. It consists 15 seconds of work followed by 15 minutes of rest - alternating hands for each interval - and can be brutal when you get in the 10+ minute range if you maintain an 8 rep cadence with a 53lb kettlebell.

So give it a try and post a commnet if you come up with any sandbag and kettlebell combo workouts of your own!

1 comment:

Billy Fowler said...

I never tried sandbags, but I spend most of my workout time these days using kettlebell training. I won't go back to old fashioned types of workouts any more because kettlebells keep me interested in fitness, and they get me in great shape!

Anyway, thanks for the work you put into this site!