Monday, April 27, 2009

Sandbag Power Cleans + An Upperbody Assualt Using Just a Tire!

Another beautiful day here in New England - summer definately came early! Of course, I love to take advantage of these days by training outdoors with just some basic equipment and fresh air.

After a warm up w/calisthenics, I ripped into a sandbag power clean and pull up super set for a total of 4 sets. The sandbag powerclean is awesome for the entire body, but epsecially the posterior chain, grip and upperback. Unlike a powerclean with a barbell, you have to WRESTLE the weight up - there is no easy portion to the lift. Here's a video from Zach Even-Esh, creator of the
The Underground Strength Manual with one of his athletes tearing into a heavy set.



After the powercleans and pull ups, I moved on to one of my favorite combos for the upperbody - reverse rope climbs supersetted with simulated rope climbs aka hand over hand pull ups. 3 sets of this and my forearms, biceps, triceps, lats and even my chest were FRIED.

Next I hit up some bearhug squats and goodmornings for a few sets...if you haven't tried these, they are a total different feel from a normal barbell squat. Make sure you squat DEEP!

Finally, to cap off the session I finished with 3 rounds of Joe Hashley's Chop Circuit using a tire and a tree. Sounds primal (well, it is!), but this smashed my grip, upperback, core, and had my heart jumping out of my chest! To see the article that I got this from, check it out here
Farm Boy Strength and for more of Joe's innovative training techniques, be sure to get his Bull Strength Training Manual

Until next time!

No comments: