Monday, April 20, 2009

Sangbag Training - Day 1!


After taking a 3 day mini vacation from training, I was definately ready to tear into a workout today - especially because over the weekend I had made my first ever sandbag and was anxious to see what all of the hoopla was all about (just kiddin). The bag I made is 110lb - which, if you've never trained with a sandbag before (and as I quickly found out), will crush even the fittest/strongest dudes out there!

Here was the workout

warm up x 2 sets
1. push ups x 15
2. recline rows x 15
3. squats x 20
4. reverse lunges x 20

a1) sandbag clean and press 3x5
a2) mixed grip pull ups 3xreps
***no rest from the clean and press to the pull ups, and minimal rest between sets
b1) parallel bar dips 3xreps
b2) sandbag bent over rows 3x10
***basically done without any rest periods, just blasted through all 3 sets without taking a break
c1) sandbag zercher squats 2x12
c2) sandbag bearhug goodmornings 2x10
***so I thought I'd be able to bang out sets of 20 on the zerchers no problem...boy was I mistaken!
d) kettlebell combat complex x 1 set
***one of my favorite finishers of all time, this complex always looks easy on paper, but just 1 set w/ a 53lb kb is enough to cap off a session.

I was finished in just under 30 minutes and was sweating bullets! With sandbags, there is no break, no easy part of a lift - every single movement involves the grip, back, and core to a huge degree. If you're a combat athlete, the sandbag is perhaps the perfect addition to your strength and conditioning program - the full body nature of all of the movements, not too mention the hand and finger strength that would be developed from sandbag training would be of immense value. Even if you're just a fitness or strength nut, sandbag training definately offers unique benefits that you otherwise would not get from barbells or dumbbells.

While I'm never going to say that any one implement is better than another, if you're looking for a change from a typical barbell/dumbbell routine (still the undisputed kings of the weightroom), give sandbags, kettlebells, and bodyweight training a serious try!

No comments: