Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Sandbag Quickie!


Above, Ross Enamait killing it with his sandbag

While I love being able to spend a good solid hour training - getting my mobility work in, a good 10 minute warm up, and then 45 minutes of gut busting strength work -I have to be honest, sometimes I just have to get in and get it the hell over with.

These sessions might be 25-30 minutes TOPS, but are ultra productive and leave me a sense of accomplishment.

If you've been following this blog, then you know that i'm a big fan of short, condensed sessions that give me a huge bang for my buck. And while most people gripe about not having enough time to train, I find that these "quickies" give me my best results!

But you can't possibly fit EVERYTHING into a 20 or 30 minute workout, right?

Here's you're soultion...I've talked about "chunking" a little before, and its actually a term I stole from Zach Even-Esh, but it allows me to get in everything I need or want to get in without dedicating a big block of time out of my day.

So I might get in a quick 5-6 minute warm up followed by a 20-25 minute strenght session in the morning and then foam roll and get my mobility work in at night or vice versa. Or I might get in the "meat" of my strength session in the morning and then come back in the evening for some mobility work and more accessory stuff.

So here's a quick sandbag complex I'll be doing this morning after a brief gpp warm up with bands and calisthenics:

1. clean and press x 6
2. shoulder + squat x 6 (3 each side)
3. Rotations x 8
4. Bent Over Rows x 8

I might do this for 3 or 4 sets and then I plan on getting in some soft tissue/mobility work in later tonight followed up by some upper and lower body sled dragging and probably some heavy band goodmornings.

Time is on your side...if you know how to use it!

No comments: